Recently, I’ve been interested in discovering exactly what my ‘calling’ is.
Calling is one of those funny words that means different things to different people.
Some think of calling in terms of a job, a position or a skill or talent.
Sometimes we hear people talk about being called to a certain field (such as medicine) or a place (such as Africa).
While this description does a good job of describing how heavy they are, it also suggests that a calling is a job or location.
If this was true, then we could only follow our calling if a certain set of things line up; for instance: our education, physical condition, wealth and the conclusion and thoughts of decision makers.
I think a calling has to be more than that, its inextricably linked with the word purpose...
What am I here for?
There are a lot of things that I am here for.
I’m certain of that.
What are they?
After a period of prayer this morning, I felt convicted to write down what I thought my calling was.
I took a couple of sheets of paper.
I wrote ‘What is my true calling?’ and then I wrote 50 things that I believe I feel called to.
This is what I came up with.
What Is My True Calling?
- Love God with all I have
- Love Sarah
- Make life-long friendships
- Seeking knowledge and continueing to grow
- Inspiring others
- Loving everyone I come into contact with
- Telling the world about Jesus
- Changing the World in a real way
- Living a worthy life
- Leave a legacy of life and love behind me
- Equipping others to do the same
- Mentoring those who want to experience life
- Discipling others, especially teenagers, in living a life of faith
- To follow Christ, even when it would be easier not to
- Experience and seek the Spirit
- Help others find the same love that I have
- Sharing that love
- Experiencing all that the world has to offer
- Exploring life, including the bits that don’t make sense
- Helping others
- To be a friend
- To be a confidant
- To be a husband
- To be a father
- Search in what others have given up on – No loose ends
- Never stop hoping
- Live courageusly
- Give beyond personal wealth
- Never stop learning
- Live with eudiamonia – virtuous flourishing
- Love recklessly
- Be a radical disciple
- Known in my community
- Never be content with 2nd best
- Encourage with clarity and precision
- To have no boxes for my life – “I can’t do that, that’s not me”
- Building on the rock
- Display God’s splendour
- Press on in faith – Never stop running the race
- Share the glory of God
- Lead others
- Design something awesome
- Have an awesome, awesome marriage
- Discovering and maintaining my passion
- Raise up a new generation of believers
- Be an example for others – Lead the life I want others to live
- Share my life joyfully and openly
- Seek out challenges
- Live dangerously – do crazy things
- Seek what God wants for my life
This has helped me immensely to clarify and seek what I feel called towards (many of them are in similar categories).
I have one simple question though.
What is your calling?